Customers who have a satisfactory credit history with the City of Lodi or can provide a credit reference letter from another utility are not required to provide a deposit to establish service with the City of Lodi.
Those unable to meet that requirement must provide a deposit to the Finance office in order to obtain service. A deposit (in the form of cash, cashier’s check, money order, Visa or MasterCard) is required for any of the following.
Applying for New Service
If the applicant meets any of the following requirements, a deposit will be required.
- The applicant(s) has had a prior delinquent account sent for collection.
- The credit bureau and all collection fees must be paid in addition to the deposit.
- The applicant(s) does not have a credit reference letter.
- For applicants who do not have valid U.S. identification, an additional deposit may be required.
- Additional deposit for no valid U.S. identification will be waived if there is one applicant on the account with a valid U.S. identification.
Sealed for Non-Payment (SNP)
Read requirements for restoring service after shut-off due to non-payment.
Residential Utility Deposit Schedule
|Number of Bedrooms||Deposit for House/Duplex/Triplex/Fourplex||Deposit for Apartments|
|4 or more bedrooms||$500||$350|
A deposit of not more than twice the average monthly service charges will be required (minimum of $500) at the initiation of service.
Credit to Account
Deposits will be credited to the customer’s account:
- After 12 consecutive months of current payment history (no late charges)
- If the account is closed and a final billing has been generated
Retention of Deposit
Deposits for no U.S. identification will remain on the account until either:
- Valid U.S. identification is provided
- The account is closed
The retention period for all deposits is typically one year. However, the City of Lodi reserves the right to retain deposits longer than the typical one-year retention period if, in the Finance Services Manager’s opinion, a deposit is still warranted.